27 October 2009

I WILL Survive

Ah...life at cosmetology school has been more than interesting. Remember those good ol' days at BYU-I where drugs, sex and/or casual sex, pornography, homosexuality, stealing candy from babies, and ordering from Domino's on Sunday were your basic "No, that's not OK" items? I knew then I lived in a bubble and I was happy with it. Sometimes annoyed but still happy. I also knew that one day I would venture out of the bubble. And here I am- out of my bubble. This is what it's like now:

Lyle's School of Hair Design had a field trip to a hair show in Birmingham, AL. I bought my ticket and was getting excited to go

... BUT....

I was so nervous to leave the kids for such a long time -Sat, Sun, AND Monday. To top it off I'm also still breastfeeding (you really wanted to know that didn't you?) via a pump (you really didn't want to know that I'm sure) and I have never left either of my children for any extended period of time (I'm attached!) and (I love parenthesis).

AND to strain those nerves just a little bit more let me introduce problem number two- I soon came to realize that my hotel room was meant to be with my classmates... No big deal. Except I go to school with women AND men.

Blessings and curses come in threes right? Well so do problems! My ride approached me the day before the trip and let me know my classmates were bringing some things to smoke (not cigarettes) and thought I would want to be aware of this before we left. While I most definitely appreciated the heads up I also found myself at a loss of what to do. I don't even know the legalities but I imagine if the driver was pulled over, and the cop happened to find pot I couldn't claim "I didn't inhale" and expect the legal system to really believe me... And that I would be just as guilty for being in the presence of it... It's not like a breathalyzer or something similar can test for that right? Who knows? Don't tell me... I don't really care. Not going to be my problem.

All of these issues became apparent within a fifteen minute interval of time... the solution was obviously simple:

I decided that I would just skip the trip. I wanted to go, but there is no justifying any of those things.

And a room with men... puhleeeze. How gross and completely wrong and inappropriate is that? Even if I weren't married it's still not OK. Sheesh... My classmates had a very hard time wrapping their heads around that one. Very few grasped the reasoning behind my stance on the matter.

Oh Bubble Where Art Thou?

Long story short- Randy came with me. He knew I wanted to go, but he knew I couldn't. The relief I felt when I decided not to go can't even match the joy I had knowing that I could spend the weekend with him AND the kids AND go to the show! It was his Fall Break and we found a hotel for 25 bucks. TWENTY FIVE BUCKS! We left at 5 a.m. so that we only had to stay one night, packed our own food, and went to Birmingham! The kids loved it, Randy is my hero, and I learned some pretty wicked awesome things at the hair show (a convention of sorts where I can spend large sums of money and/or take lots of classes on hair and it's many surrounding topics- I opted for classes)

AND- we were well rested. While my classmates were out until 2 a.m., Randy, Row, Mikayla and I were holed away and asleep by 8:30 pm. They are my bubble. Self made yes, but a beautiful safe haven that I treasure. I love my family and I love that we can be our own little fortress in this world we live in. Without my family I don't think I could survive. I love knowing that I have to put my best foot forward for them each day. All of them are my motivators (you too Mom and Dad!) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Families are what it's all about. They are what matters most. The best part of my day is leaving school to go home- to see my babies snuggled up in bed, or when Mikayla comes racing up to me for a hug and kiss, or Rowan putting his arms up in the air for a 'touchdown' and Randy with his big hugs (and sometimes dinner too!) This is the life!


As a side note- let it be known that while I may not do as my classmates do, or live like some of them live I truly enjoy them and have a genuine appreciation for all the help and friendship given me... I've met some spectacular people and learned so much. This world I haven't been a part of for so long, is still a good thing with good people. Different yes, but still good. I'm having a hard time adjusting but I'm happy to be with a bunch of people that seem to take everyone as they come, including myself.

PS Halloween costumes are already $5.99 at The Children's Place. Since I won't be able to beef up the costume box the day after Halloween this year (it's a Sunday) I figured at that price I could go ahead and do it today!

6 comments:

The Karrens said...

Leaving the "bubble" is so hard. I am so proud of you and what a great husband to go with you. I think that many people think that we have a restrictive life with the gospel, but we have so much more freedom then everybody else.

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

That story was amazing! I loved when I read about your family going with you ( I didn't expect that!)

Also smart idea about the costume box! My girls are wearing their costumes from last year today haha

Traylor Family said...

loved this post. what a great example for your babes. they'll read this one day and it will give them strength to choose what is right and good. not to mention the example to your classmates. one day you never know...they might look back and say "i once knew this girl..."

and we seriously need to get to the zoo or something before it's 4 degrees outside!

Heather Gray said...

What a great story, Beth! You have an awesome perspective on your life that I may just have to borrow. I love my bubble,too!

Unknown said...

Amen! Awesome story. It just goes to shows when you put the Lord first everyting works out.

Anonymous said...

Thats neat Beth!! Im glad you were able to go!! Speaking of hair.. I am in desperate need of a trim/cut since my hair grows like wild fire now...