12 July 2009

Coupon Queens

This past week I was introduced to something new while at school. Maybe not completely new, but something I haven't always been very good about unless it came to diapers.

Coupons.

Last week I had been at Girl's Camp and met the "Coupon Queen" who showed us how she bought all the first aid kits for the girls and after using her coupons and rebates she MADE MONEY... at that moment I began to realize that I just might be missing out on something big... Then this week at school I walked into the classroom to find two students and one instructor surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of coupons. Nothing but coupons. To walk into the classroom and find these girls working away amidst all of these little annoying pieces of paper that end up at the bottom of my bag unused was a little surprising, unexpected and intriguing. I decided to ask questions.

"Whatcha doin?"

"What do you mean? Don't you be telling me you don't use coupons? Girl, I got three kids and I'm on my own. I have to look after myself. Let me show you...."

Seriously, it was the scariest lecture I have had so far.

And who said you don't learn anything in cosmetology school? I think this student is on to something. She saves on average 60% on her groceries. The numbers sound a little far-fetched to me but she proceeded to sit me down and teach. I learned about the coupon organizer, the benefits of triple coupons, stocking up, not purchasing without a list and coupons, holding out for a better deal and so forth. She would have made any enrichment leader proud. I was in awe. So much so that I have decided to embark on this journey as well. I even bought coupon organizer... it's blue.

Hmmmm

To be sitting in hair school, truly the most unlikely of places, among a few women who live on a budget much like my own (string bean), are as busy as I am, have children, outside obligations etc and to hear them talking about stocking up, saving, preparing.... it just made me think. Am I at church? Ok, I didn't thing that but I have to admit I kind of thought only LDS people did the whole food storage/let's be scandolously cheap/be prepared thing. So I was in a little shock. I REALLY must be missing out on something here... Two encounters in less than one week. Someone upstairs is trying to show me something... So here's to coupons.

Wish me luck!

PS Row has started his second and third consonant sounds. Babbababbabba and lalallaa. The babaaba is his favorite. AND when he is upset he just says mamamamamamma. He's smart and he's on to something too! Plus he knows I'll come running just on the hope that he does get what 'mama' means....

And we'll do a post soon for Mik-she turned FOUR!!

5 comments:

Traylor Family said...

Yep, coupons are the best. I onced saved 110% at Publix when they had their buy one get one free sale. I happened to have two of every coupon I needed and they will double up to $0.50. By fat the best grocery trip of my life. But even without wonderful deals like that I always save at least 30%. It's definetly the way to go!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, the whole coupon thing is sorta puzzling. I can't ever seem to find coupons for what we use. And since we have gone to once a month menu planning and shopping I use Sam's Club a lot. I know I should probably use more coupons but it really is intimidating to me.

Craft-a-Boo said...

I can never find coupons for what I need and use! I've tried, but everything I find is like for 50cents off the name brand stuff which turns out even more expensive than the generic. I can never seem to get the hang of it.

So if you find that it works for you, please show me how! lol

Jamie said...

You are entering a whole new world with the couponers. I have been reading up on what people do and it is simply amazing! I read the money saving mom blog and she has a lot of good advice, but I haven't gotten into it mostly because I don't take a paper and don't get those coupons, but I'm trying! Good luck!

Jessica said...

i have tried and tried but I can't seem to do it...I think it's because I shop at super-walmart and with a brand name coupon, the Great Value walmart brand is still cheaper...let me know if this doesn't hold true.